So another 3am late night finishing the 15 minute radio show which took days to do, days!!!
So our show is a pirate radio show with a summer of oblivion theme – made by pirates 4 pirates… I probably made it more complicated than it needed to be. This was a collaborative effort by my family. We wanted to have a story running through and not rely too much on just playing tracks. So sourcing the songs and sound effects took hours. Agreeing storylines was fun and recording stuff was hilarious. I will be doing an outtakes recording at some point. Had to cut out alot of tim cause he was so rude… Our son is a bit self conscious about being recorded so he helped with sourcing, feeding back and coming up with great story ideas.
He came up with a great idea for an alternative ending – where we go to a weather report which starts a storm scene, a shipwreck and drowning; ) I just didn’t have time to do this ending in the end but I think it would be great… anyway I won’t spoil the end we do have.
What an interesting process though – as a family we do lots together but this was quite different and made me realise that we don’t laugh together as much as we should. This made us laugh a lot and also deal with stresses of deadlines. As a home learning activity it was fantastic. Collaborative working is not our son’s favourite thing (as an aspie) and he was initially stressed out about being recorded – so we agreed that he had other things to offer to balance the team effort.
I do suspect though that he would tell his friends that we are a bit mad. I did have the final editing role so had to deal with the wrath of the captain when all his cabin boy and wench jokes were pulled; )
I have only listened to a couple of other stories and both of them are over 20 minutes. In my very literal way I made ours exactly 15 minutes; ) and even over-editied stuff with rubbish impact to not go over the time limit. I really need to lighten up… This show is really good I think…
This was an exhausting assignment, but fun. I may have to pass on the next assignment as I catch up with my life!
Sources used (don’t read if you want to do the competition -guessing the artist)
- Robinson Crusoe tv series music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxiqOPnW84&feature=related
- Sex Pistols – friggin in the rigging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV6R0I2oHKY
- Brian Eno and David Byrne – My life in the bush of ghosts – Mea culpa, Help me somebody, jezebel spirit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4OX7IxFZPs
- The young rascals – grooving htttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgozdtsh_g
- shiver my timbers – muppets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisL9l8HzmM&feature=related
- blackbeard the pirate – movie trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uraOiXPzdm4&feature=related
- iron mask – black devil ship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQu7I6xm6I&feature=related
- Scotty – The black pearl (Dave Darell Radio Edit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6P9SXsS_8&feature=related
- The Plugz – Hombre secreto from RepoMan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdbF6nEc8LE&feature=related
- pogues – sea shanty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeCyR-ytD5U
- in the navy – village people http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw
- Don Gibson – sea of heartbreak http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4bo4ByFhLM
- frresound.org – ambient soundtrack metaphysical death http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=54921